PhD in Biological Sciences
Become an independent scientist by earning your PhD in Biological Sciences! Prove your ability to develop unique knowledge in a field of your choice.
At the doctoral level, you will prepare a thesis making a significant, original and high-quality scientific contribution. Your research should also lead to scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
You will develop and carry out your own original research projects! This is the perfect way to launch a career in advanced research in academia, government or industry.
Questions about this program?
The + of studying biological sciences at the Université de Montréal!
- Laboratories equipped with the most sophisticated instruments.
- The Biodiversity Centre, housing the Ouellet-Robert Entomology Collection and the Marie Victorin Herbarium, among other valuable collections.
- The Institut de recherche en biologie végétale (IRBV): an exceptional site for basic and applied research, located in the Montréal Botanical Garden, staffed by renowned professors and researchers.
- The Groupe de recherche interuniversitaire en limnologie (GRIL): the only group studying eastern Canadian freshwater ecology.
- The new Mine of Knowledge training program funded by NSERC, providing stipends for students to conduct research on the sustainable development of the mining sector.
- The Station de biologie des Laurentides: a true natural laboratory in a protected setting.
- The Symposium: an annual assembly focusing on the work of graduate student researchers.
- Weekly seminars (in French) given by internationally reputed guest scientists.
- According to US News, the Université de Montréal is ranked among the best global university for molecular biology and genetics.